Pearls of Wisdom from the Bible

From The Old Testament


Exodus 33:18-20 Moses said to the Lord, "I pray you, show me your glory!" He said, "I will make all my goodness pass before you, and will proclaim the name of the Lord before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. But," he said, "You cannot see my face, for no one can see me and live."

Deuteronomy 32:39 See now that I alone am He, and there is no God besides me: I will kill and I will make to live; I will strike and I will heal; and none can deliver out of my hand.

1 Chronicles 16:11 Seek the Lord in His power; seek His face continually.

1 Chronicles 22:19 Seek the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

2 Chronicles 16:9 The eyes of the Lord behold all things on earth, and He gives strength to those who trust in Him.

2 Chronicles 30:9 The Lord your God is gracious and merciful; He will not turn His face away from you if you return to Him.

1 Samuel 16:7 God does not see as men perceive; for men judge by outward appearance, but the Lord sees the heart.

Proverbs 4:23 Above all else, guard your heart; for from it flow the springs of life.

Proverbs 7:4 Say to Wisdom, "You are my sister!" and call Intelligence your intimate friend.

Proverbs 12:15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice.

Wisdom 2:23-24 God created man for immortality, and made him in the image of his own eternity; but through the devil's envy death came into the world, and those who take his side experience it.

Ecclesiastes 3:11 God has made everything beautiful in its season. He has also planted eternity in the human heart, yet so that man cannot fathom the whole scope of God’s works from beginning to end.

Ecclesiastes 9:16-17 And I said: "Wisdom is better than strength." But the wisdom of the poor man is despised, and his words are not heard. The quiet words of the wise are more to be heeded than the shouts of a ruler of fools.

Job 11:5-6 Oh, that God would speak to you, and show you the secrets of wisdom! For true wisdom has two sides.

Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me.

Psalm 25:4-5 Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me. For you are the God of my deliverance, and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalm 26:2-3 Test me, O my Lord, and try me. Examine my heart and my mind. For Your love is ever before me, and I walk continually in Your truth.

Psalm 36:7-9 How precious is your unfailing love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings. They drink their fill of the abundance of your house, and you give them to drink of your river of delights. For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light.

Psalm 42:1-2 As the deer pants after flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, the living God. When will I see your face?

Psalm 43:3-4 Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me; let them bring me to your Holy Mountain, to the place where you dwell. Then will I go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight. I will praise you with the harp, O Lord, my God.

Psalm 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God.

Psalm 48:9 Within your temple, O God, we meditate on your unfailing love.

Psalm 52:8 I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God’s unfailing love for ever and ever.

Psalm 57:1 Have mercy on me, O God, for in you my soul takes refuge.

Psalm 63:1 O God, my God, I cry to you at dawn; my soul has thirsted after you, in this parched and weary land where no water is.

Psalm 108:1-4 My heart trusts in you, O God! I will sing and make music with all my soul. Awake, my soul! Awake, harp and lyre! I will awaken the dawn.

Psalm 112:4 Even in darkness light dawns for the upright, for the gracious, just and compassionate man.

Psalm 145:18 The Lord is near to all who invoke him, to all who invoke him with sincerity.

Wisdom 1:1-2 Think of the Lord in goodness, and seek Him in simplicity of heart.

Sirach 1:28 Do not approach the Lord with a divided mind.

Sirach 2:1-6 My son, if you come forward to serve God, prepare yourself for temptation. Set your heart right and be steadfast, and do not be hasty in times of calamity. Accept whatever is brought upon you, and in changes that humble you be patient. For gold is tested in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of humiliation. Trust in Him, and He will help you.

Sirach 3:18 The greater you are, the more you must humble yourself; so you will find favour in the sight of the Lord.

Sirach 6:20-22 Wisdom seems very harsh to the foolish; a weakling will not remain with her. She will weigh him down like a heavy testing stone, and he will not be slow to cast her off. For Wisdom is like her name, and is not manifest to many.

Sirach 10:12 The beginning of man’s pride is to depart from the Lord; his heart has forsaken his Maker.

Sirach 13:20 Humility is an abomination to a proud man.

Sirach 14:20-21 Blessed are those who meditate on Wisdom, and reflect on holy things. Those who ponder her ways in their heart will also have understanding in her secrets.

Sirach 15:7-8 Foolish men will not obtain Wisdom, and sinful men will not see her. She is far from men of pride, and liars will never think of her.

Sirach 18:13 The compassion of man is for his neighbour, but the compassion of the Lord is for all living beings.

Sirach 24:28-29 The first man did not know Wisdom fully, nor will the last one fathom her. For her thoughts are more abundant than the sea, and her counsel deeper than the great abyss.

Sirach 35:17 The prayer of the humble pierces the clouds.

Sirach 40:17 Kindness is like a garden of blessings.

Proverbs 8:11 Wisdom is more precious than jewels, and all that you may desire cannot compare with her. 

Esther D:15 I saw you, my Lord, like an angel of God, and my heart was shaken with awe at your glory. For you are wonderful, my Lord, and your countenance is full of grace.

Lamentations 2:19 Pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord.

Lamentations 3:25 The Lord is good to those who yearn for Him, to the soul that seeks Him.

Isaiah 1:25 I will turn My hand against you; I will thoroughly purge away your dross, and remove all your impurities.

Isaiah 5:20-21 Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, and intelligent in their own esteem!

Isaiah 25:12 He will bring down your high fortified walls and lay them low; He will bring them down to the ground, to the very dust.

Isaiah 26:5 The Lord humbles those who dwell on high, he lays the lofty city low; He levels it to the ground and casts it down to the dust.

Isaiah 26:8 The desire of our soul is to your name, O Lord, and to the remembrance of you.

Isaiah 29:13-14 The Lord says: "These people come near to me with their mouth and honour me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men. Therefore once more I will astound these people with wonder upon wonder; the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."

Isaiah 46:9 Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me.

Isaiah 48:10 See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction.

Isaiah 51:3 The Lord will comfort Zion and will look with compassion on all her ruins; He will make her deserts like Eden, her wastelands like the garden of the Lord. Joy and gladness will be found in her, and her gratefulness will bloom into songs of praise.

Isaiah 58:11 The Lord will guide you always; He will fill your soul with joy, and satisfy your thirst in a parched land. You will be like a well-watered garden, like an ever-flowing spring.

Isaiah 59:10 Like the blind we grope along the wall, feeling our way like men without eyes. At midday we stumble as if it were twilight; among the living we are like the dead.



From The New Testament


Matthew 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you.

Matthew 6:1 Beware of practicing your goodness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 6:19-21 Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Matthew 7:1-2 Do not judge, so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Matthew 7:12 In everything treat others the same way you want them to treat you.

Matthew 7:13-14 Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Matthew 10:26 There is nothing concealed that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known.

Matthew 12:25 Any kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and any city or house divided against itself will not stand.

Matthew 13:12 Whoever has will be given more, and will have an abundance. But whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him.

Matthew 13:31-32 He told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and perch in its branches."

Matthew 13:44 The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid again; and from joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

Matthew 15:14 If a blind man guides a blind man, both will fall into a pit.

Matthew 18:3 Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 21:42 The stone which the builders rejected, that is the keystone.

Matthew 22:14 Many are called, but few are chosen.

Matthew 23:12 Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Matthew 26:53 All those who take up the sword will pe-rish by the sword.

Mark 10:15 Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will never enter it.

Mark 10:18 Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone."

Mark 12:29-31 "The first commandment is this: 'Love God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might' (Deut. 6:5). The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself' (Lev. 19:18). There is no other commandment greater than these."

Mark 14:36 "Father, all things are possible for You; remove this cup from me; yet not what I will, but what You will."

Luke 4:23 Physician, heal yourself!

Luke 5:31 It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick.

Luke 6:45 The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart.

Luke 7:35 Wisdom is justified by all her children.

Luke 10:25-28 "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" And Jesus answered, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might; and your neighbor as yourself. Do this, and you will live."

Luke 11:9 Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened unto you.

Luke 11:33-36 The eye is the lamp of your body; when your eye is clear, your whole body also is full of light; but when it is bad, your body also is full of darkness. Then watch out that the light in you is not darkness. If therefore your whole body is full of light, with no dark part in it, it will be wholly illumined, as when the lamp illumines you with its rays.

Luke 13:18-19 "What is the kingdom of God like, and to what shall I compare it?" Jesus answered, "It is like a mustard seed, which a man took and threw into his own garden; and it grew and became a tree, and the birds of the air nested in its branches."

Luke 16:15 You are those who justify yourselves in the sight of men, but God knows your hearts; for that which is highly esteemed among men is revolting in the sight of God.

Luke 18:17 Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will never enter it.

Luke 18:25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Luke 22:42-42 "Father, all things are possible for You; if You are willing, remove this cup from me; yet not my will, but Yours be done." Now an angel from heaven appeared to him, strengthening him.

John 3:3-8 Jesus said, "Truly I say to you, unless one is born from above he cannot see the kingdom of God." Nicodemus asked him, "How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?" Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. Do not be amazed that I say to you, 'You must be born again.' The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

John 3:20-21 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.

John 3:27 A man can receive nothing unless it has been given him from heaven.

John 4:24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.

John 5:30-31 By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just because I do not seek my own will, but the will of Him who sent me. If I testify about myself, my testimony is not true.

John 6:64 The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

John 12:24 Unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.

John 14:10 The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own initiative, but the Father abiding in me does His works.

Acts 17:27-28 God is not far from each one of us; for in him we live and move and have our being.

Romans 1:20 From the creation of the world, the invisible attributes of God have been clearly seen in the things that have been made—even his eternal power and divine nature.

Romans 2:1 In that which you judge another, you condemn yourselves; for you who judge practice the same things.

Romans 2:19-21 If you are confident that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness, a corrector of the foolish, a teacher of the immature, having in the Law the embodiment of knowledge and of the truth, you, therefore, who teach another, do you not teach yourself?

Romans 8:6 If the mind is ruled by desire, there is death; but if the Holy Spirit governs the mind, there is life and peace.

Romans 8:26-27 The Spirit helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit intercedes for us with sighs too deep for words.

Romans 12:16 Do not be wise in your own estimation.

Romans 13:8-10 Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the Law. All the commandments are summed up in this one rule: 'Love your neighbor as yourself' [Lev. 19:18]. Love does no harm to its neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the Law.

Romans 15:1 We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves.

1 Corinthians 2:14-15 The natural man does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. But he who is spiritual discerns all things, yet he himself is by no one discerned.

1 Corinthians 3:13 Each man’s work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man’s work.

1 Corinthians 3:18-19 Do not deceive yourselves. If any one of you thinks that he is wise by the standards of this age, let him become a fool, so that he may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight.

1 Corinthians 8:1-3 We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge makes arrogant, but love edifies. The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. But the man who loves God is known by God.

1 Corinthians 10:13 God is faithful and will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able to sustain, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8 Love is patient, Love is kind. She does not envy, she does not boast, she is not proud. She is not rude, she is not self-seeking, she is not provoked, she keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. She always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

1 Corinthians 13:8-10 But where there are prophecies, they will cease; if there are tongues, they will be silenced; if there is knowledge, it will be set aside. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, what is partial will be done away.

1 Corinthians 13:11-12 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. But when I became a man, I put aside childish things. For now we see as in a mirror, indirectly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know in part, but then I will know fully, just as I also have been fully known. Now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

1 Corinthians 15:22 As in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive.

2 Corinthians 4:6-7 For God, who said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness,’ made His light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that this all-surpassing greatness will be of God, and not from us.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 Though our outer man is wasting away, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day; for our trivial and momentary afflictions are preparing us for an eternal glory beyond compare. So let us not look to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.

2 Corinthians 7:10 Distress that drives us to God brings a repentance without regret that leads to salvation. But worldly sorrow brings death.

2 Corinthians 9:7 Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver.

2 Corinthians 11:14 Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

Galatians 5:16 Live by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desires of the flesh.

Galatians 6:7-8 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; but the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.

James 1:5-6 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind.

James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

James 2:24 A person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

James 4:8 Come near to God and He will come near to you.

James 4:10 Humble yourself before the Lord, and He will lift you up.

1 John 3:2 Beloved, we are God’s children now; what we will be has not yet been revealed. But we do know that when He is revealed we will be like Him, for then we will see Him as He is.

1 John 4:8 Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love.

1 John 4:16 God is love, and those who live in love live in God, and God lives in them.

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.

1 Peter 3:8-9 Love each other with a kind heart and with a mind that has no pride. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing; because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything be grateful.

1 Timothy 4:4 All that God creates is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude.



From The Apocryphal Gospels


Thomas 3 Jesus said, "When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will understand that you are children of the living Father. But if you do not know yourselves, then you dwell in poverty, and you are the poverty."

Thomas 17 Jesus said, "I will give you what no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, what no hand has touched, what has not arisen in the human heart."

Thomas 24 Jesus said, "There is light within a person of light, and it shines on the whole world. If it does not shine, it is dark."

Thomas 49 Jesus said, "Blessed are the solitary and chosen, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. From it they have come, and to it they will return."

Thomas 58 Jesus said, "Blessed is the man who has suffered and found life."

Thomas 59 Jesus said, "Look to the Living One as long as you live, otherwise you might die and then try to see the Living One, and you will be unable to see."

Thomas 61 Jesus said, "If one is whole, one will be filled with light, but if one is divided, one will be filled with darkness."

Thomas 66 Jesus said, "Show me the stone that the builders rejected: that is the keystone."

Thomas 77 Jesus said, "I am the light that is above all things. I am all: from me all things come forth, and to me all return. Split a piece of wood, I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there."

Thomas 84 Jesus said, "When you see your likeness, you are happy. But when you see your images that came into being before you came into being and that neither die nor become visible, how much will you have to bear!"

Thomas 87 Jesus said, "How miserable is the body that depends on a body, and how miserable the soul that depends on these two."

Thomas 91 They said to him, "Tell us who you are so that we may believe in you." He said to them, "You examine the face of heaven and earth, but you have not come to know the One who is in your presence, and you do not know how to examine the present moment."

Thomas 108 Jesus said, "Whoever drinks from my mouth will become like me; I myself shall become that person, and the hidden things will be revealed to him."

Thomas 113 His disciples asked him, "When will the kingdom come?" Jesus replied, "It will not come by watching for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is!' or 'There it is!' For the kingdom of heaven is spread out upon the earth, and people do not see it."

Philip 8 The name of earthly things are very deceptive, for they divert our hearts from what is real to what is unreal. If you hear the word 'God,' you miss the real and hear the unreal. People do not perceive what is real but what is unreal, unless they have come to know the Real.

Philip 35 It is impossible to perceive anything in the eternal realm unless you become it. It is not so in the world. You see the sun without being the sun, see sky and earth, but are not them. This is the truth of the world. In the other truth, however, you are what you see. In this world you see everything but yourself, but there, you look at yourself and are what you see.

Philip 36 Faith receives, love gives. No one receives without faith, no one gives without love. To receive, believe; to love, give. If you give without love, no one derives a thing from what is given.

Philip 55 Truth did not come into the world naked, but she came clothed in types and images. The world will not receive Truth in any other way.

Philip 59 When Eve was in Adam, death did not exist. When she was cut from him, death came into being. If he enters what he was and takes her into him fully, death will disappear.

Philip 91 When the spirit of the world blows, it brings the winter. When the Holy Spirit breathes, the summer comes.

Philip 94 Love never calls something her own. She never says, 'This is yours’ or 'This is mine,' but 'All is yours'.

Philip 112 As long as the root of wickedness is hidden, it is powerful. But when it is recognized, it is dissolved. When it is revealed, it perishes. Let each one of us dig down after the root of evil which is within one, and let one pluck it out of one’s heart from the root. It will be uprooted if we recognize it. But if we are ignorant of it, it takes root in us and produces its fruit in our heart. It masters us. We are its slaves. It takes us captive to make us do what we do not want; and what we do want, we do not do. It is powerful because we have not recognized it. So long as it exists, it is active.

Yesu 23 John said, "Teach us about the kingdom." Yesu said, "Do not look for the kingdom as though it will appear in one place or another. For the kingdom is here, now."

Yesu 57 Do not judge others. If they seek the darkness, that is their danger, their woe. But trust the light and it will grow into a great flame. Let your light shine before all people that they may see and trust also.

Yesu 70 I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. In every part of the world those who know, know me. I am the wise man’s treasure, and the lost man’s refuge.

No comments:

Post a Comment